100 years after the founding of the Bauhaus, the journal bauhaus is an important written testimony to this icon of modernity. The periodical, which was published periodically from 1926 to 1931, contains important voices of the movement, including numerous Bauhaus masters such as Josef Albers, Walter Gropius, Wassily Kandinsky, Paul Klee, László Moholy-Nagy and Oskar Schlemmer as well as Herbert Bayer, Marcel Breuer, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Gerrit Rietveld and others.
They comment on current events in and around the Bauhaus, on the methods and focuses of their own teaching, and on current projects by students and masters. At that time primarily addressed to the members of the "circle of friends of the bauhaus", the magazine published by Gropius and Moholy-Nagy makes the authentic voice of this mouthpiece of the avant-garde readable. The faithful reprint is intended to give new impetus to international discussion and research on the Bauhaus and its theories and designs.
The individual facsimile issues will be accompanied by a commentary booklet with a clear table of contents and a scholarly essay, which will place the journal in its historical context.
Edited by and initiated by Lars Müller in collaboration with Bauhaus-Archiv/Museum für Gestaltung, Berlin
With an essay by Astrid Bähr
With contributions by Josef Albers, Walter Gropius, Wassily Kandinsky, Paul Klee, László Moholy-Nagy, Oskar Schlemmer, Herbert Bayer, Marcel Breuer, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Gerrit Rietveld et al.
Design: Integral Lars Müller
21 × 29.7 cm, 8 ¼ × 11 ¾ in
316 pages, 418 illustrations
paperback, 14 issues with separate commentary (32 pages) in transparent slipcase