The colourful composition of the Bauhaus Carpet
No. 1 by Gertrud Arndt is a design from 1924 and was first published in 2019 as part of the Bauhaus anniversary of designer carpets. In
the 1920s, the carpet with its numerous squares was produced only once as a pile carpet.
Gertrud Arndt began her studies at the Bauhaus in Weimar in autumn 1923. Actually, she wanted to become an
architect, but she was - like many other Bauhaus students - assigned a place to study weaving. There she designed two carpets, one of
which was used as a reference in the office of Walter Gropius. After finishing her studies she concentrated on photography. Together
with her husband, the Bauhaus student Alfred Arndt, she went to Probstzella in Thuringia in 1927, where her husband was involved as an
architect in the construction of the "Haus des Volkes". Two years later, the couple returned to the Bauhaus in Dessau after Alfred Arndt
was appointed head of the extension workshop by the Bauhaus director Hannes Meyer in 1929. In Dessau, Gertrud Arndt then created a
highly acclaimed series of photographic self-portraits.
100 % pure new wool
Hand knotted in Nepal
Dimensions: 120 x